Chocolate Milk??

  • Posted: 1:37 PM
  • |
  • Author: Mary

I really have had a wonderful experience nursing over the past 3+ years. I have had the opportunity to experience many things that other mothers who do not nurse or who wean their children at a young age do not get to experience. Nursing has always been a part of my life as I watched my mother nurse my three siblings all past 1 year-old and most of my aunts nurse my numerous cousins. I always planned on nursing when I had my own children, but I didn’t really know what it would be like to nurse, especially when your child gets older. It is certainly a different experience nursing a “baby” who is walking and talking or nursing two siblings who are 19 months apart in age. I feel very blessed to have had these experiences and over the past 3 years have noticed a funny happening that I thought I would share. It seems that my children often will prefer one side to the other. Both of my children happen to have had a slight preference for the same side.

Mary Claire is now nursing only 3 times a day (morning, nap, and bedtime) since we will be separated for 10 days at the beginning of October. I was putting her down for a nap and nursing her today when she stopped nursing and tried to switch sides. Since she is an 18 month old nurser now, we can have quite a bit of communication about and during nursing (this is a whole other story). I told her to keep nursing, there is more milk in there. She clearly told me “NO,” pulled down my shirt and got into position to nurse on the other side. Then she pulled on that side of my shirt until I conceded. It makes me wonder, does that side produce chocolate milk while the other produces plain? Perhaps that side makes whole milk and the other skim. Probably they just prefer the way I hold them with that arm, but it is interesting to think about.

…Have a creamy-dreamy day


I told my mom that I didn't think I had any pictures of Mary Claire and I nursing so she took one when we stopped by on Sunday...