How to survive with 3 kids under 5

  • Posted: 9:05 PM
  • |
  • Author: Mary



Well, on November 12th we were richly blessed with the birth of our third child and first son, Peter Benedict Stengel. He weighed 9 lbs 3 oz and came out very healthy and happy. I am glad that God has blessed me with a calm child, but I think my own experience as a mother and the fact that it is necessary for him to often exercise patience as I am busy also help contribute to his peaceful spirit.

This was by far the most difficult and painful pregnancy I have experienced physically and emotionally. Yet, my son was delivered safely and is a great joy to me and I think God has something special in mind for him. I am interested to see how it all unfolds.

So, to the surviving part, I am certainly not able to function like I was before. I think the biggest change is that my expectations just have to be readjusted. There is no way around it. I have learned that this is only a season, but it is sometimes difficult to sit and nurse or sooth a fussy baby when you are thinking about the millions of things you need to do.

My days currently go something like this: get up, brush my teeth (I don't have time to deal with cavities so I make sure to do this first), have coffee, make kids breakfast, get kids dressed and teeth brushed, put baby down for nap (yes, it took that long to complete the previously mentioned things), set girls up with a project, exercise, stop exercising 3 times to break up fights and pat bottom of fussing baby, clean up kitchen, make kids lunch, put baby down for nap, shower, get girls set up with another project, attempt to take nap (necessary when you are up 5 times a night), have afternoon caffeine fix, make supper, bath time, bed time.
Of course there are a multitude of various things I could add in there like stoping to nurse, clean up toys, read books with the kids, etc, etc, but you get the picture.

These are the days when we don't have to run errands. On those days I find it difficult to fit in even my minimum requirements such as exercising, making dinner and getting a shower. I am having a hard time even finding time to keep up with good friends right now. When the kids get sick, which we have had 2 full weeks of in the past 6 weeks or so, all bets are off.

I guess the moral of the story is that I have not yet figured out how to function well with 3, but we are making it. I have been enjoying having a baby around again and so have his big sisters. I love seeing how he lights up when they talk to him and how they melt when they look at him. Someday I will be able to clean my floors regularly again and feel rested enough to get a start on the day at 5:30 or 6:00. For now I'm going to enjoy the baby things in life because this year that will be over so soon. So yes, I have my hands full, but in a good way. :)